A Medial Collateral Ligament (MCL) sprain is a stretch, partial tear or complete tear of the ligament. MCL is a band of tissue that runs across the inner edge of your knee. It helps to connect your shin and thigh bones to keep your knee stable and working properly when you move. When outer side of your knee hits very hard due to collision among athletes or twisting of knee, your MCL gets injured.
Grades of MCL sprain
Grade-1 – (Minor injury) some fibres of the ligament gets stretch, but not torn
Grade-2- (Moderate injury) partial tear of the ligament
Grade-3- (Severe Injury) complete disruption of the ligament
What are the causes?
-Contact Sports such as Football, Rugby, Hockey, and Skiing
-Squatting and lifting heavy objects such as weightlifting
-Landing awkardly on your knee or overextending knee
-Repeated stress to the knee which causes ligament to loose its elasticity
Patient with MCL injury complains of-
– Swelling at the inner knee and can be increased and spread to actual knee joint 1-2 days after injury.
– Popping sound at the time of the tear, the most significant sign of partial or complete ligament tear.
– You might have difficulty in walking, single leg standing and squatting.
– Pain and tenderness around inner knee
– Feeling of knee looseness and instability while walking
– Knee stiffness
How to diagnose?
Physical examiner check the patient for pain and tenderness at affected knee
Range of motion of the knee joint
Special tests- MCL valgus stress test
Conservative treatment includes-
1. R-Rest your knee by putting off weight from knee
2. I- Put ice on your knee
3. C-Compress your knee with brace or elastic bandage,
4. E- and you have to raise your injured knee while putting ice over it.
Physical Therapy Rehabilitation includes-
*Electrotherapy- Ultrasound, TENS, IFT to reduce pain and swelling
*Isometric exercise of quadriceps muscle
*Strengthening exercises of thigh and leg muscles for proper working of knee.
*Stretching exercise and Soft Tissue Manipulation (STM)
*Taping around your knee
If you are already performed all the above things but won’t have much relive in your conditions then consults to a nearby doctor! Or you can consult us we have free Consultations for you!